Dr. Euijin Alley Choo
Research Focus at QCRI
Dr. Euijin Alley Choo is a Postdoctoral Researcher at Qatar Computing Research Institute. Before she joined QCRI, she was a visiting Assistant Professor at Missouri University of Science and Technology. She received her Ph.D from North Carolina State University in 2015. She earned dual B.S. from Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering and Dept. of Mathematics at Korea University. She also earned M.S. from Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering at Korea University.
Since 2006, she has conducted research in the field of computer and network security including encryption, key management, mitigation of DDoS attacks, malware detection, resilience evaluation of reputation systems, and spam detection in public forums. Her current research interests include malicious traffic analysis, spam detection in public forums, and security and information assurance in e-commerce market and industrial control systems. She earned a Provost Fellowship from NCSU during her first year of Ph.D studies. She also received the Best Paper Award at 29th Annual IFIP Working Conference on Data and Applications Security and Privacy in 2015.
Dr. Choo's current research interests include network traffic analysis and spam detection.
2015-2016: Visiting Assistant Professor, Computer Science, Missouri University of Science and Technology
2009-2015: Research / Teaching Assistant, Computer Science, North Carolina State University
Professional Associations and Awards
- July 2015; Best Paper Award; 29th Annual IFIP Working Conference on Data and Applications Security and Privacy; Washington D.C, USA
- May 2014; IEEE S&P Travel Award; IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy; San Jose, CA,USA
- July 2013; UIUC Formal Methods for the Science of Security Summer School Scholarship; Information Trust Institute at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA
- Oct 2010; ACM CCS Travel Award; ACM Computer and Communication Security Conference; Chicago, IL, USA
- May 2010; Trusted Infrastructure Workshop Travel Award; Carnegie Mellon University; Pittsburg, PA, USA
- Fall 2009 - Spring 2010; Provost Fellowship; North Carolina State University; Raleigh, NC, USA
- Spring 2006 - Winter 2009; Brain Korea 21 Scholarship; Korea Research Foundation; Seoul, Korea
- Spring 2007; Best Research Lab Award, Brain Korea 21 Annual Exhibition; Korea Research Foundation; Seoul, Korea
- Summer 2003; Samsung Networks Academy Scholarship; Samsung Networks; Seoul, Korea
Ph.D, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. USA, 2015
M.Sc, Korea University, Seoul, South Korea, 2008
B.Sc, Korea University, Seoul, South Korea, 2006
Euijin Choo, Ting Yu, Min Chi;"Detecting opinion spammer groups and spam targets through community discovery and sentiment analysis"; Journal of Computer Security, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 283-318, 2017
Euijin Choo, Ting Yu, Min Chi; Detecting Opinion Spammer Groups through Community Discovery and Sentiment Analysis; Data and Applications Security and Privacy XXIX. Springer International Publishing, 2015. 170-187 (Best Paper Award)
Euijin Choo, Ting Yu, Min Chi, Yan Sun;"Revealing and Incorporating Implicit Communities to Improve Recommender Systems"; 15th ACM Conference on Economics and Computation (ACM EC 2014),pp. 489-506, June. 2014.
Euijin Choo, Jianchun Jiang, Ting Yu;"COMPARS: Toward an Empirical Approach for Comparing the Resilience of Reputation Systems"; 4th ACM conference on Data and application security and privacy (ACM CODASPY 2014), pp. 87-98, Mar. 2014.